African Graduate Student Research Paper Competition 2011
ENTRIES NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION AVAILABLE FOR REFERENCE ONLY.
TEEAL is pleased to announce the first research paper competition for post graduate students from African countries eligible to obtain TEEAL, The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library. TEEAL invites MSc and PhD students to submit research papers in food production, food security, agricultural and food policy, and rural development.
About TEEAL: The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL), produced by Albert R. Mann library, Cornell University is a digital collection of research journals for agriculture and related sciences. Researchers, students, faculty and librarians can discover and access thousands of full-text PDF articles without the use of the internet.
As one of the Cornell University Library system's unit libraries, Albert R. Mann Library’s collections and services support the faculty, staff and students of the University. In particular our resources and staff support the instruction, research, and extension programs of Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Human Ecology.
- Best research paper by a PhD student – first prize $1000 and second prize $500
- Best research paper by an MSc student – first prize $500 and second prize $250
Only post graduate students are eligible.
The competition is open only to MSc or PhD students who will be currently enrolled in a graduate program in 2011 or graduating in 2011. Undergraduates or faculty members are not eligible.
Lead authors must be post graduate students.
Faculty members may be contributing authors only. The lead author must be a post graduate student.
Single entry and category
- Only one entry per student author will be accepted.
- Authors can enter only one category (either MSc or PhD – not both).
The paper must be the author’s original work and not previously published.
The topic of the paper should be within the broader scope of agriculture and rural development including subjects included but not limited to those covered in the TEEAL database such as food production, food security, and agricultural economics and food policy.
Type of paper
Paper can be a policy research paper, secondary data analysis, or original scientific research.
Post graduate students currently enrolled at institutions located in African countries eligible to obtain TEEAL are eligible. Please note that the institution’s location determines eligibility and not the individual student’s country of origin. Entries from female students are highly encouraged. The list of eligible countries is given below:
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (DR)
- Congo (Rep)
- Cote d'Ivoire
- Equitorial Guinea
- Sao Tome e Principe
- Sierra Leone
Language of submission
We are accepting research papers written only in English for this competition.
- Length: The paper should be no more than 10 pages. Charts, appendices and references can be additional and are not counted towards page limit.
- Layout: The paper should be in Times New Roman font size 12, double spaced with 1 inch margins.
- Citations: All sources should be cited using a standard citation style such as APA, MLA, Chicago or Turabian.
- Title page and abstract: The title page must include author’s name, institution affiliation, faculty advisor name, and expected date of graduation, email address, and an abstract no longer than 500 words. This title page will be separated from the rest of the paper to ensure anonymity during the judging process. The title page will not be counted in the page limit.
- The headers or footer should contain page number and can contain shortened title of the paper. Do not put any personal identifying information in the header and footer to ensure anonymity.
- It is required that students register to confirm their eligibility to participate in the competition by completing a registration form. Registration is simple, free and required for students wishing to enter the competition. Students can also email email@example.com to register via email by providing the following information:
- Attach official letter from head of department or faculty member confirming current enrollment status
- Discipline/Subject of study
- First Author’s Full Name
- Gender (Male/Female)
- Email address
- Full Address (House number, street name, City, State, Country, Zip code)
- Institutional affiliation
- Expected year of graduation
- Expected Degree (M.SC or PhD)
- Title of the paper (title can be revised at time of final submission)
- Students will receive email confirmation from the TEEAL office informing them of their successful entry into the contest.
- Registration deadline is May 31, 2011. Papers should not be submitted at the time of registration.
- Deadline for submitting research papers by eligible contestants is July 31, 2011. Only eligible contestants will be invited to submit their research paper and a release form by July 31, 2011.
For questions or clarifications about the research paper competition, please contact Baseema Krkoska and Erica Reniff at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation at the time of registration and also at the time of final submission.
- The awards will be announced in late 2011.
- Winners will be featured on the TEEAL website hosted at Cornell University.
- Cash prizes will be awarded as described above.
- Each winner will receive a certificate, letter of accomplishment and plaque.
- The winning papers will be published on the TEEAL website.
Papers will be judged by a panel of three judges drawn from the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Cornell University. Anonymity of contestants will be strictly maintained.
The judging criteria will include clarity of thesis development, methodology, quality of analysis, and completeness and diversity of references.
Please help spread the word to your post graduate students by downloading the flyer [PDF] and making it available in a visible location such as a library notice board or distribute in the classroom.
For any questions, please contact Baseema Krkoska at email@example.com.